Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Team: Finance and Operations
Line Manager: Programme Manager, Finance
Contract Type: Limited-term Full-time
Grade Level: Specialist 2, overall level 5
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Closing date: 19 December 2022 at 23:59 CET
Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2012. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL's CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Responsibility of the Results Offer
The Finance Department (FD) is responsible for maintaining the soundness and integrity of SEforALL’s financial position, maintaining reliable and timely financial records and accounts, and informing internal and external stakeholders about SEforALL’s financial position, results, and performance. Moreover, FD is charged with ensuring that the disbursement and receipts of funds for SEforALL are undertaken in a manner that espouses a high degree of timeliness, efficiency and accuracy as well as effective internal control in order to protect the organization’s assets and reputation. The FD also leads, in coordination with all units, the formulation of the organization-wide multi-year and annual work plan and budget in a manner that is linked to the strategy and the multi-year business plan of SEforALL. In addition, the FD is tasked with management all procurement-related services for SEforALL (i.e., operational and programmatic).
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the function include:
- Serve as focal point and resource centre for activities and issues related to procurement and the fiduciary role attached to it.
- Develop, review, and update the procurement policies, procedures and processes and related standard procurement documents (tools, templates, checklists, etc.).
- Ensure that all requests for the procurement of goods and services, and the resultant actions, comply with rules, policies and procedures including the delegation of authority and donor requirements.
- Manage, in coordination with other units, the procurement of goods and services, including market sourcing, developing TORs, RFPs, preparing and reviewing contracts, managing contractors’ performance, etc.; and ensure that this is done with full transparency, adopts fit-for-purpose, and at the best value for the money.
- Manage the contract lifecycle, in particular for multiyear contracts, and those that require periodic re-procurement to ensure continuous service.
- Manage, monitor and keep record of all SEforALL’s procurement transactions.
- Work on standardization, harmonization and coordination of procurement-related matters with donors and beneficiaries, as appropriate.
- Serve as the secretary for the Procurement Committee; ensuring transparency, fairness, and efficiency in the procurement process.
- Develop and disseminate the knowledgebase and inventory of best practices in the area of procurement.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The primary duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
Operational and Strategic Planning for Procurement
- Develop and implement actionable objectives, planning processes, budgets and operational KPIs for the function.
- Oversee the implementation of IT enhancements as they relate to procurement, including digitization and automation as well as optimal data management and business intelligence.
- Ensure that the services of the function meet the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to innovation and the institutionalization of new initiatives in the function.
- Oversee the management of all procurement mattes, including project procurement throughout the project lifecycle.
- Understand the various procurement markets using analytical tools and approaches to define more effective procurement strategies.
- Formulate and implement the annual procurement plan based on the business plan for the organization and adapt as the business plan is incrementally adjusted throughout the year.
- Develop standard procurement documents (tools, templates, checklists, etc.).
- Advise beneficiaries, suppliers, consultants, and contractors on all aspects that relate to the procurement of goods and services.
- Maintain records on the performance of vendors hired by SEforALL based on information from the various units.
- Create and maintain accurate master records for vendors, including beneficiary bank details.
- Oversee the procurement related complaint handling (different from integrity issues).
- Administer the reporting to the various stakeholders (e.g., donors, partners, countries, etc.) as it relates to procurement.
- Periodically review the internal control mechanisms and corporate governance guidelines and recommend improvements.
- Maintain productive and effective working relationships within SEforALL and with external partners.
- Provide training on procurement issues to SEforALL staff and advice on the implementation of the procurement policy.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems, and processes to share the knowledge.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- A minimum of 3 years demonstrated experience in procurement, financial management, and/or accounting.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance/economics/business administration, or a closely related field. Master’s degree in the above fields as well as certification in accountancy and/or finance would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in working with procurement IT systems would be a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management, coordinating multiple deliverables across different departments to meet deadlines, with increasing responsibility over time.
- Professional level command of written and spoken English, particularly in report writing for both general and executive audiences.
- Demonstrated experience working within workflow management systems, including the capturing of data throughout different steps of the process from different roles participating in that system
- Ability to consistently perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated ability to prioritize in an ever-changing environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to high quality results.
- Strong IT skills including Outlook, Word, Excel (including reports/macros/graphs, advanced formulas, and pivot tables) and Power Point.
- Demonstrated experience in using MS Excel and PPT to covey complex information to a general audience in a visually innovative way that is convincing
- Demonstrated experience in translating highly complex issues across multiple systems into straight forward and actionable plans to complete a task.
- Working experience in the energy sector is considered an advantage.
General Competences for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has proficient skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has proficient knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has a proficient level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates proficient initiative and abilities to collaborate and partner with others in own are, and across teams. Identifies, develops, builds and actively promotes partnerships and collaboration, maintaining long-lasting partnerships. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has a proficient level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has proficient skills in research and analytics. Promotes the use of data within the team and to contribute to wider decision making.
- Project Management: Has proficient skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has proficient skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery
Our Values - please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is EUR 52,370. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Abuja, Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance with the applicable data protection regulations.
We will only disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of such an order so that you can take legal action against it if necessary. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you require updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d of the GDPR