Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Team: Finance and Operations
Line Manager: Director, Operations
Contract Type: Limited-term Full-time
Grade Level: Specialist 3, overall level 6
Date Required: As soon as possible
Duration: One year with possibility to extend
Closing date: 19 December 2022 at 23:59 CET
Background About SEforALL
Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL) is an international organization working with leaders in government, the private sector and civil society to drive further, faster action toward achievement of Sustainable Development Goal 7 (SDG7), which calls for universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to well below 2° Celsius (and striving for 1.5° Celsius).
Achieving these goals will require a radical rethink of the way we produce, distribute and consume energy. SEforALL is at the heart of this foundational shift to ensure no one is left behind. Drawing on data and evidence, we identify a critical path to success in achieving SDG7.
The 8th UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative in 2012. Now an independent organization, we maintain close links with the UN, including through a relationship agreement, partnerships with UN agencies and with SEforALL's CEO acting as the UN Secretary-General's Special Representative (SRSG) for Sustainable Energy for All and Co-Chair of UN-Energy. These roles include advising the UN Secretary General and his staff on issues relating to sustainable energy and the implementation of SDG7 and supporting the coordination of sustainable energy issues in the United Nations system.
The ambitions of SDG7 are extraordinary. Aiming to achieve them in the context of the Paris Agreement on climate change involves transformation at a scale never undertaken before. Swift action must be taken by leaders in governments, private sector companies, institutions, financiers, development banks, unions, communities, entrepreneurs and civil society. As we enter the final decade to achieve SDG7, SEforALL has strategically chosen to strengthen global agenda-setting while expanding its activities to an engagement model that prioritizes data-driven decision-making, partnerships with high-impact countries and implementation on the ground. SEforALL’s current three-year business plan outlines “results offers” that scope out our planned interventions and demonstrate to our funding partners the impact of their support.
Responsibility of the Results Offer
The Operations Department (OPS) is responsible for enabling the implementation of the strategic operational plans for SEforALL as well as for safeguarding resources and the smooth running of the day-to-day affairs of the organization. As part of its mandate, it is tasked with managing all matters pertaining to information technology, including IT strategies, and security, website infrastructure management (i.e., not content), planning and solutions, to enhance the operational effectiveness and efficiency of SEforALL as well as mitigate IT risks. OPS is also mandated to manage, in coordination with outside legal counsel, legal and regulatory matters, including ensuring statutory compliance for the legal status in Austria (and other countries, as appropriate), and maintain related relationships. In addition, OPS has a broad mandate to provide high-quality and cost-effective general services, including managing the physical facilities (offices), travel, records and documents, as well as managing the related relationships including with UNOPS and UNF.
Purpose/Objective of the Role
The main objectives of the function include:
- Develop the overall IT direction and strategy as well as define strategic initiatives for IT (policies, guidelines, architecture, applications, infrastructure, equipment, etc.).
- Lead the development and maintenance of, as well as monitor the compliance with, organizational IT policies and guidelines with the objective of increasing efficiency and internal control as well as reducing IT-related risks.
- Collaborate with other units to optimize and automate SEforALL’s business processes with the objective of improving effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develop and maintain processes documentation and user manuals; ensure that all stakeholders have access to accurate sources of reference on processes, policies, and performance.
- Develop annual IT operating plans and budgets as well as implement cost-effective solutions.
- Supporting procurement-related activities related to IT, including market sourcing, developing TORs, RFPs, preparing or reviewing contracts, managing contractors’ performance, etc.
- Manage the IT organizational change management process (e.g., IT training and capability building, IT awareness, IT communication etc.).
- Develop a secure, resilient and robust IT infrastructure to support SEforALL’s operations.
- Identify and plan SEforALL’s system capacity requirements and ensure that they are implemented, operated and maintained to support the IT infrastructure.
- Manage, monitor and evaluate the technology infrastructure's ongoing performance and quality of its outputs and services, identifying and initiating actions for improvement and innovation to provide maximum stability, availability, and reliability of IT services to SEforALL for all domains.
- Define and ensure implementation of the Organizational Architecture Strategy.
- Evaluate, select and acquire enterprise business solutions development tools and follow standard enterprise business solutions development and implementation approaches and guidelines, and document all development activities (including version control) in an integrated development environment for all enterprise business solutions.
- Provide SEforALL units with IT business solutions, functional user support, incident and problem management services, configuration management, customization, development, and deployment support.
- Manage the overall development, implementation and maintenance of Data Warehouses, Data-Marts and Business Intelligence platforms, including analytical and key performance indicators dashboards.
- Establish and operate a "Help Desk" to provide quality, timely and cost-effective IT support (e.g., networking, applications, servers, email services, etc.) to SEforALL’s premises.
- Plan, implement and manage content management and task management solutions as well as ensure smooth deployment and usability by end-users.
- Design and maintain an information security strategy and architecture.
- Design and operate identity and access management policies and procedures to manage the entire lifecycle of electronic identities of staff and their access to IT services, enterprise business applications and IT Infrastructure components covering authentication, authorization, and audit.
- Adopt and implement controls for data security including data governance, data classification, data leakage prevention, data encryption and data storage strategy.
- Implement and operate IT security infrastructure components related to network security, email security, endpoint protection, identity and access management, application security, and data security.
- Manage IT risks by performing regular vulnerability assessments and penetration tests as well as implementing mitigation measures to manage the IT risks.
- Plan, implement and manage the Business Continuity Management Program, including the IT Disaster Recovery plan of SEforALL, to enable critical business areas to continue operating during crisis events.
- Ensure proper implementation of IT projects and initiatives in a manner that ensures reliability, security and quality of IT systems serving business needs.
- Manage the operations and maintenance of the development, QA acceptance and production environments; testing of the systems to ensure a controlled change management process for all applications, databases, and infrastructure components.
- Manage engagement with IT vendors/firms and systems integrators for the development of systems and applications, consulting services, and implementation services.
- Develop and disseminate the knowledgebase and inventory of best practices in the area of information technology.
- Manage and keep track of software licenses, related procurements, and allocate licenses to users as necessary.
Duties and Tasks for the Role
The primary duties and tasks of the role include, but are not limited to:
Operational and Strategic Planning for Information Technology
- Lead the development and implementation of actionable objectives, planning processes, budgets and operational KPIs for the function.
- Oversee the function’s on-going activities and quality of its output and services, identify and initiate proposals/actions for further improvements and innovations.
- Ensure that the services of the function meet the expectations of internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead innovation and the institutionalization of new initiatives in the function.
Information Technology – Systems (ERP, CRM, etc.)
- Lead the digital transformation of SEforALL with the objective of enhancing efficiency as well as improving delivery by other units for the various Results Offers.
- Responsible for organization-wide best use of the ERP system (including the CRM functionality), optimizing opportunities afforded by automation and data to support organizational growth.
- Analyse business/program needs to help ensure that the ERP and CRM meets objectives by combining industry best practice and product knowledge in a manner that is user friendly.
- Maintain and improve the ERP system.
- Ensure optimal integration with other relevant modules (e.g., travel, ECM, etc.).
- Look for opportunities to improve SEforALL’s internal processes through automation and systems in collaboration with the various stakeholders.
- Manage the Oracle Implementation Project (including integration with other applications, as appropriate) in coordination with other units in a manner that ensures project quality and timely delivery within budget.
- Manage the data migration from legacy systems as well as archiving tools.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of internal systems, particularly the ERP and the CRM, and any associated integrations with the relevant third-party applications.
- Serve as the single point of contact to undertake diagnostics and resolving any ERP and CRM issues.
- Undertake the formulation of user manuals and staff training for the ERP and CRM.
- Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing in own work area to bring about awareness and understanding, as well as utilise SEforALL systems, and processes to share the knowledge.
- Other tasks and duties as may be required.
Specific Competencies for the Role
- A minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience with ERP systems in a previous role with a preference for Oracle. System integration design and implementation is also desirable.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or similar field is preferred. Master’s in aforementioned fields as well as certification in the field of ERP would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management, coordinating multiple deliverables across different departments to meet deadlines, with increasing responsibility over time.
- Professional level command of written and spoken English, particularly in report writing for both general and executive audiences.
- ERP and CRM systems, especially Oracle NetSuite.
- Ability to consistently perform under pressure in a fast-paced environment and demonstrated ability to prioritize in an ever-changing environment that requires high flexibility and a commitment to high quality results.
- Demonstrated experience in translating highly complex issues across multiple systems into straight forward and actionable plans to complete a task.
- Cloud computing and SaaS
- IT infrastructure and security.
- Project management.
- Business process engineering.
General Competencies for the Role
- Innovation and Adaptability: Has expert skills and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities. Is flexible to evolving circumstances, as well as helps others in doing so.
- Resilience and Emotional Intelligence: Has expert knowledge in the concepts of resilience and emotional intelligence. Is able to remain calm in challenging situations, to cope with setbacks, is responsive to the emotions of others and maintains a high level of performance.
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking: Has an expert level of analytical and strategic thinking skills. Gathers and processes demanding information, develops innovative solutions and contributes by representing topics/approaches in internal and cross-functional working groups/teams.
- Collaboration and Partnership: Demonstrates expert initiative and abilities to collaborate and form partnerships in own area of responsibility, across teams and externally. Builds and maintains effective relationships at all levels inside and outside the organisation. Displays team-oriented attitude contributing to creating a positive team spirit.
- Lead and Empower: Demonstrates initiative and role model behaviour in leading and empowering others. Takes responsibility for own work activities and personal actions and carries out the commitments agreed upon.
- Political and diplomatic understanding: Has an expert level of political and diplomatic understanding.
- Communicating information: Has expert skills in communicating information and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work and in others’ work.
- Research and Analytics: Has expert skills in research and analytics and uses the skills effectively in own scope of work.
- Project Management: Has expert skills in project management. Plans and organises their own work using project management tools in support of achieving the team’s objectives.
- Client Orientation / Striving for Excellence: Has expert skills in client orientation and achieving excellency in work delivery
Our Values - please refer to our core values as defined here: https://www.seforall.org/who-we-are/staff/our-values.
Salary information: SEforALL has adopted its own salary scales corresponding to the SEforALL grading system. The minimum yearly salary for this position is EUR 64,432. The actual salary offer will be determined within the scale depending on the successful candidate’s qualification and experience, and applying the principle of internal equity. In addition to the base salary, SEforALL staff receive a benefits package that includes contribution to pension, contribution to health insurance & homeworking allowance.
- SEforALL offers exciting high-impact assignments, a collegial and creative work environment, and the opportunity for committed professionals to thrive and grow within flat hierarchies and in the pursuit of an inspiring mission.
- SEforALL provides competitive compensation packages at its locations in Vienna, Washington DC and New York City, and flexibility and result orientated modern workplace arrangements.
- Qualified female candidates and candidates from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- SEforALL reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
Your data will not be passed on to third parties outside SEforALL. We will only use your data to the extent necessary for the purposes of selecting personnel in accordance with the applicable data protection regulations.
We will only disclose your personal information if we are required to do so by a court´s or administrative authority´s decision. In such a case, we will inform you as soon as possible of such an order so that you can take legal action against it if necessary. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you require updates to your information in accordance with Art. 5 lit. d of the GDPR